Wednesday, May 16, 2007

The Other Side of the Fence (the grass is not always greener)


I have been keeping up with The Great Mate Debate blog that Ed Young has been participating in. He is just one of many contributors. The other contributors come from varied points of view... Anyhow, I really enjoyed this post of Ed's. Here it is. I think Ed has some wonderful points to make. The topic of this particular discussion is: Are people who never marry somehow "missing out"?

(I particularly liked what he said here: "And, by the way, most married couples will tell you they found their future spouse when they were the most content as a single person. Be content wherever you are in life, stop looking over the fence at the "greener" pastures, and let the rest take care of itself.")

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have been married for 39 years, happily so. So I may have a valuable perspective. I also have a friend who is in his 50's and he's never been married, and happily so. The differences between my friend and me are many and important. In all my decisions, I find myself needing to seriously consider at least (I have 2 daughters and 4 grandcildren too) one other person, he does not. He has more freedom, money, linear focus, time, and many other valuable things things than I have. But he doesn not get kissed by a loving wife each morning before he goes to work. He does not get kissed all the time by loving daughters and grandchildren. I could go on and on, but in my view I have the winning hand, hands down. Problem is, all married people are not me, and they aren't all happy. I believe happiness is not tied to marriage or not, I believe it is tied to having a super relationship with the Father, through Jesus Christ, and having the Holy Spirit actively involved in our lives every day.