Friday, August 15, 2008

Come Thou Fount

I hadn't heard this old hymn in a very long time. To be honest, I hadn't really listened to the lyrics deeply since I've been old enough to really understand them. I heard them this week and was SO moved. Old hymns like this one are hard for a young person to understand, especially in the wording used in so many old hymns. When I was young, they were as hard to grasp as reading the King James version of the Bible. I just struggled with the old language. But this song really says how I feel in such a powerful yet beautiful way.


"Come Thou Fount"

Come, Thou Fount of every blessing,
Tune my heart to sing Thy grace;
Streams of mercy, never ceasing,
Call for songs of loudest praise.
Teach me some melodious sonnet,
Sung by flaming tongues above.
Praise the mount! I’m fixed upon it,
Mount of Thy redeeming love.

Here I raise my Ebenezer;
Here by Thy great help I’ve come;
And I hope, by Thy good pleasure,
Safely to arrive at home.
Jesus sought me when a stranger,
Wandering from the fold of God;
He, to rescue me from danger,
Interposed His precious blood;

O that day when freed from sinning,
I shall see Thy lovely face;
Clothed then in blood washed linen
How I’ll sing Thy sovereign grace;
Come, my Lord, no longer tarry,
Take my ransomed soul away;
Send thine angels now to carry
Me to realms of endless day.

O to grace how great a debtor
Daily I’m constrained to be!
Let Thy goodness, like a fetter,
Bind my wandering heart to Thee.
Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it,
Prone to leave the God I love;
Here’s my heart, O take and seal it,
Seal it for Thy courts above.

http://www.last.fm/music/Chris+Rice/_/Come+Thou+Fount+Of+Every+Blessing

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What changes everything is when the time comes in our life when the control over our own lives fails soooo miserably, when we have backed off into such a terrible place that there appears NO escape, and then we see Him. We hardly recognize Him, it's been soooo long since we looked, but there He IS, and He's ALWAYS been there. We have been soooo self-absorbed we did not notice. Then & only then, when we've dug a pit that we cannot escape from, we see Him, and He is always ready and able to deliver us from our creation of hell-on-earth, with a ring, a robe, and a welcome-home party. The song, albeit old and awkwardly worded, has meaning at a depth we can now understand. Praise God for our understanding. May He never depart!